Thursday, June 16, 2011

PDF 24 - one tool in your "paperless" toolbox

I have talked about my personal goal of not being dependent on any one computer for my files, hence using cloud file servers. I really go a bit beyond that, which is being as paperless as possible and also not dependent on proprietary software. I would say I am about 90% there.

In the interest of being paperless, of course I opt for electronic delivery of bills and bank statements. If you'd still like to save a copy of those electronic documents in your own file system, it can be easily done by saving the PDF form of the monthly statement (which is usually provided on your bank/biller's website). But what if there is something you'd like to save that is not provided to you as a PDF? I use PDF24.  It's a free little program available at PDF24.org, and when installed, "PDF24" becomes one of your printers.  Let's say you have a warranty return and the claim requires you to email your proof of purchase. Maybe that receipt came in the form of an email. You can open up the email, and choose to "print" it with PDF24.org. One word of advice: The default file location on PDF24 is not intuitive, so make sure when you save it, you save to your Dropbox folder.

No comments:

Post a Comment